The roof rack is useful to carry :
- alpine skis, cross-country skis
- soft water kayak, sea kayaks (simple or double)
- bikes, tandems, canoes
- transport box
- very versatile.
- very stable on the roof of the vehicle.
- doesn’t damage the vehicle paint when installed.
- transferable from a vehicle to another with minor modifications.
- safe lock system.
- doesn’t harm the driver's rear view.
- a little longer to install.
- can increase the gas consumption by 5 % to 10 %.
- the roof access is difficult on SUVs and minivans.
- needs a particular attention when entering garage doors and underground parking lots.
The perfect rack for short distance journeys which allows to carry up to 3 bikes on the trunk.
- easy to install and put away (can be folded).
- transferable from a vehicle to another.
- doesn’t create any air resistance.
- affordable price.
- less versatile (3 bikes maximum).
- disables trunk access.
- no locking system.
- additional accessories are required for a stable installation (cables, straps, padlocks).
- can damage the vehicle paint when installed.
- harms the driver rear's view.
The perfect tool for average or long distance journeys which allows to carry up to 5 bikes, snowboards, and cross-country and/or alpine skis on the trailer hitch.
- versatile for bikes and skis.
- very good stability.
- very safe for the average or long distance journeys.
- only one safety strap touches the vehicle (in some cases, there is no contact whatsoever).
- easy installation for the bikes.
- useful for vehicles with hard to access roofs like : SUVs and minivans.
- locking systems available.
- easy to put away in the trunk.
- tilting (to enable the opening the rear hatch on SUVs and minivans).
- if the vehicle doesn’t have hitch rack system (plate, 1 1/4 inches or 2 inches square), you must prevent some installation costs.
- bikes can be damaged.
- skis are difficult to re-covered on this type of rack which can expose them to calcium and water.